To whoever is reading this (probably only my mother, hi mom), earlier this year I decided to make some changes in my life.
Last year, I hit 25 and had a bit of a mid-life freak out. I was not happy with the direction my life was going. I was addicted to my cellphone and social media, I was not getting enough sleep, I was under-eating and over exercising, and I was just generally becoming a negative person. So I decided to make a change.
On the 1st of this year I listed out 34 things I want to accomplish this year. I am not sure how I ended up with such a random number of goals, but 34 it is. Over the course of this year, I aim to meet all 34 of the goals in order to create new, healthy habits and a life I am proud to lead. It is my hope that by tracking progress in a blog, I can hold myself more accountable, and perhaps any readers out there can hold me accountable as well.
If you are reading this, I hope to provide you with some encouragement to meet your goals this year and every year.
Here are my 34 goals (some have been edited to limit some personal specifics):
- Travel more. See a new city, state, and country.
- Find a job that inspires you.
- Be less judgmental of others and try to see the best in all.
- Spend less time on your phone. Limit your time on your phone to a maximum of 4 hours day.
- Cut back on social media. Only check Instagram to post or get inspired (I deleted Facebook and Snapchat on the first).
- Be with nature more. Go on a hike, see a State Park, visit a National Park.
- Save some dollars for the future by 12/31/19 (keeping that dollar amount to myself).
- Treat yourself every once in awhile. Take yourself out to dinner or invest in something new.
- Be more environmentally conscious. Cut back where you can on plastics, energy use, and water use.
- Find a new hobby (or hobbies).
- Keep working out and focus on eating better on the weekends. Work on getting stronger and eating cleaner.
- Drink more water. Drink at least two bottles of water a day.
- Drink less alcohol, your liver will thank you.
- Live up to your own expectations and not anyone else’s.
- Focus on what makes you happy.
- Learn how to graciously walk away from things not meant for you.
- Spend more time with your family and keep in better contact with those not in this city.
- Think about where you want to be in five years and make an action plan.
- Do not put so much pressure on finding someone to spend your life with. Do not let others pressure you either.
- Learn new activities. Take up bike riding, rollerblading, kickboxing, kayaking, rock climbing, golf, and whatever else sounds interesting.
- Cut back on products full of chemicals. This includes makeup and processed foods.
- Cut back on spending money on things you do not need.
- Try to read, be active, draw, or listen to music instead of watching TV.
- Eat less meat.
- Find new ways to save money.
- Learn a new language.
- Write down at least one thing you are grateful for each day.
- Master and cook new recipes.
- Grow a plant (and keep it alive).
- Cut out added sugar.
- Eat less dairy and heavy carbs.
- Run a race. Any race.