Let’s take a minute and appreciate the fact that we have made it through January! It felt like January was never going to end, but those thirty-one days were all equally incredible!
But now, February is finally here!
While most people get excited about February for it’s most popular holiday, Valentine’s Day, I have decided to take a different approach.
Did you know that February comes from the Latin word februum, which means purification? I had no clue! So while some will cherish this month as a month of love, culminating in lavish plans on the 14th, I choose to take it for it’s original meaning.
So what exactly does purification mean? A quick look on dictionary.com provided the following answers:
- the removal of contaminants from something
- the process of extracting something from a substance
- the process of making something spiritually or ceremonially clean
Given that I am not water or a “substance,” definition number three seems to be the meaning I am searching for. However, I am not a super spiritual or religious person so I am choosing to interpret that definition in my own way. For me, this month of “purification” will be more focused on removing anything that no longer benefits me from my life. This can be clothes I no longer wear, tackling that junk drawer that has been growing since 2016, or even just the act of letting go.
So I have set individual February goals for myself that somewhat coincide with my overall 2019 goals. If you are hoping to purify yourself this month, feel free to use my monthly goals as a guide for your own.
- Clean out your dresser and closet of all clothes, shoes, and accessories you no longer use.
- Declutter and organize all drawers, cabinets, and bins you have let “junk” pile up in.
- Journal every day as a way to organize your thoughts and focus on the positive.
- Deep clean every inch of your room to give yourself a fresh place to come home to everyday.
- Go outside and focus on living in the present.
- Take a day for self-care. Take a bath, get a haircut, paint your nails, relax, and do a face mask.
- Try something new once a week.
- Learn to let go. Let go of the past, hate, overthinking, and anything that does not bring you joy.
*I saw this quote and hope it inspires you as much as it has inspired me: “One of the happiest moments in life is when you find the courage to let go of what you cannot change.” – Unknown
Whether you choose to celebrate love or purification this month, I hope you have a wonderful February! With only twenty-eight days this month, let’s make them all count!